Thursday, December 22, 2011

A few Sweet Recipes for your Holiday Happiness!

First of all....I'd like to say how lucky my husband is.  He gets to be my official taste tester to all these yummy recipes I've been trying lately.  Well...now that I think about it, he could be a little unlucky too, some of them have been "different" I guess I should say ;)


I do have a couple of yummy Christmas recipes to share.


This first recipe is straight from my Nanny's kitchen.  Last week, we had a cookie exchange at work and I gave her a call to ask her what I should bake, and this was her suggestion, Chocolate Crinkles.  These cookies are so yummy.  My favorite thing about these is that they are so light and airy.  Which also makes them dangerous, because you can't eat just one.  So....without further anticipation...


Nanny's Chocolate Crinkles!
I know you want some!


2 Cups Sugar                                                                                   
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
4 oz. Melted Unsweetened Chocolate Squares
2 tsp. Vanilla
4 eggs
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Cups Confectioners Sugar


In a mixing bowl; combine sugar, oil, chocolate, and vanilla.  Then add eggs one at a time.  Continue to incorporate flour, baking powder, and salt to the mixture.  Cover this with plastic wrap and allow to chill for around 2 hours in the refrigerator.  (I actually let mine chill in the freezer for 1 hour.)  
Roll into small balls and roll in confectioners sugar.  Place on a non-stick baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes at 350.  Makes about 3 dozen cookies.




Last night, husband and I went grocery shopping...yes he goes grocery shopping with me and I am very thankful for that.  That is one thing that I hate to do, but he makes it interesting to say the least.  While shopping, we got the bright idea to make sausage balls.  I don't know about you, but for me these are a Christmas staple in my family.  So for dinner tonight we had sausage balls and tomato-n-rice and it was glorious.  Here is my recipe.


Sausage Balls (I found this on a recipe card from Neese's sausage, so you know it HAS to be good)


You HAVE to try these!
1 lb. Sausage (uncooked)
1 10 oz. pack of sharp cheddar cheese grated  ( I grated my own, there is something about fresh cheese that is just better,  and no preservatives)
2 1/2 cups of Biscuit Mix (Bisquick)
1 tsp. Paprika


Allow sausage and cheese to come to room temperature and combine.  Add paprika and biscuit mix. (This can be very hard to combine because it is so dry, but with advice from the Nanny, I used my KitchenAid Mixer with the dough hook and it was SO much easier)  Roll into small balls and bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.  Makes about 75 balls.




Enjoy, and as my mom says...Merry Cripmus ;)

1 comment: